Sunday, August 9, 2009

My First Loom


This was my first "loom" I built.
I started weaving with 6 cards and using the backstrap method. That is where you tie one end of the strings to something sturdy, the kitchen table in my case, and the other end of the strings to you, with it wrapped around your back. Hence - backstrap. I didn't like that much. With small children around, if one of them needed me, I couldn't hop up and take care of them when my weaving is attached to me. I needed a loom.

I came up with this dandy idea and Hubby built it for me. It keeps the warp (see the glossary on the left side of the blog) nice and tight without it being attached to me.

I made my sister a 4th of July belt. It wasn't the prettiest thing ever seen, but for my first weaving attempt, I was pleased and my sister humored me by wearing it on the 4th of July. She even wore it in public!

No comments:

Post a Comment