Sunday, October 25, 2009

Weaving with plastic

I saw this on another weaving blog and it looked like great fun - weaving with plastic!

I had to try it. I had a little warp left on my loom so, I got some plastic Albertson's bags and the scissors. I cut the bottom off and then the handles, which left me with a plastic tube. Then, I started at the bottom and started cutting one long, continuous strip. It was about an inch wide. When I had cut the entire bag, I took the strip and wound it around my stick shuttle. Then, I wove it through the warp on the loom. I was very pleased with the way it worked and the way it looked. Most of the strip was white, but there were dark blue sections where the store's name and logo were printed on the bag.

I loved the effect! It took 7-8 bags to get this:
Here I have already sewn it into a bag. Don't you love the white and blue? Aren't the tassels too cute? OK, so, I've created a shopping bag that is waterproof out of grocery sacks. What a way to recycle and what a great free material for my loom. I'll be doing this again in the future. I'm on the look out for different colored plastic sacks now.

No comments:

Post a Comment